OFFICIAL RULES FOR THE READER’S DIGEST
MILLION DOLLAR SWEEPSTAKES
- The Sweepstakes is open to residents of Australia and New Zealand aged 18 years or older only who receive or access marketing communications via email, mail, telephone or online from the Promoter during the promotional period. The Sweepstakes opens on 01/01/12 and closes on 31/12/12.
- All prizes are guaranteed to be awarded. Throughout the Sweepstakes, the Promoter will conduct up to 24 ‘double up’ offers. Double up offers will only be sent to selected entrants. If an entrant receives a ‘double up’ offer and responds to the material as directed, in the event that they are drawn as the winner of the prize to which the ‘double up’ offer applies, they will receive double the prize money. The decision to increase any cash prize value and the amount of the increase will be totally at the discretion of the Promoter and will be indicated in the promotional material for the relevant prize draw. If an increased prize value has been advertised to a winning entrant, the Promoter will award that entrant the increased prize value, as advertised. For all other activities a winning entry will receive the stated prize value without the increase. If the Promoter decides to offer an increase in the value of any or all of the cash prizes, the total maximum potential value based on a maximum doubling of prizes would then respectively be increased to $2,000,000. Where the original winner drawn was eligible for the stated prize without the increase but does not claim their prize, only the amount of the prize unclaimed by the original winner drawn, being the stated prize amount without the increase, will be distributed in the unclaimed prize draw in accordance with these rules.
- Multiple entries are permitted (unless otherwise stated) provided each entry is on an original entry form. No facsimiles or copies permitted. Entries are not transferable. To be eligible, entries must be received by the applicable closing date. Additional deadlines apply to certain prizes including the bonus prizes and, based on postal guidelines, the Promoter allows one week for delivery and one week for return in addition to any deadline stated. In some cases where it will not be necessary to return an entry form in order to participate, specific mention will be made of that fact in the promotional material. All eligible entries will qualify and will have a fair and equal chance to win the prize to which they relate.
- Cash prizes will be awarded in the form of a cheque or by electronic funds transfer to the winner's nominated bank account. Cash prizes will be paid in the local currency of the winner. Prizes are not transferable.
- In the final stages, the Promoter will conduct the draws and the winners declared will be final and no further correspondence will be entered into.
- All times specified in these Sweepstakes rules are Sydney Australian times.
- All draws will take place at Reader’s Digest, 80 Bay Street, Ultimo, NSW, 2007 at 10:30am. The draws will take place on the following dates: Rush For Riches Prize Draw: 05/04/12. Prestige Payout Prize Draw: 07/07/12. Magic Gold Rush Prize Draw: 04/10/12. Big Bounty Prize Draw: 19/12/12. Super Grand Prize Draw: 10/01/13. Appreciation Prize Draw: 10/01/13. Thank You Prize Draw (with Preferred Customer Bonus): 10/01/13. Chairman’s Reward Prize Draw: 10/01/13.
- All winners will be notified by mail within 7 days of the relevant draw. Australian winners will be announced in The Australian on the following dates: 27/04/12 (Rush For Riches Prize Draw Winner); 27/07/12 Prestige Payout Prize Draw Winner); 26/10/12(Magic Gold Rush Prize Draw Winner); 25/01/13 (Big Bounty Prize Draw Winner, Super Grand Prize Draw Winner, Thank You Prize Draw Winner, Chairman’s Reward Prize Draw Winner and Lucky Number Jackpot Winner).
- The Promoter may conduct such further draws at the same time and place as the original draws as necessary on 10/04/13 in order to distribute any prize unclaimed by that date subject, however, to any written directions from a regulatory authority. In the event of any Australian winners in the unclaimed prize draw, their names will be published in The Australian on 17/04/13.
- For the Lucky Number Jackpot, 1000 numbers will be randomly selected before the Sweepstakes commences. Reader’s Digest’s Chief Financial Officer will retain the winning numbers in a security safe while the Sweepstakes is running. After the Sweepstakes closes on 31/12/12, the first winning number on the list will be released to the Prize Award Administrator who will verify that the participant who was issued the winning number has in fact returned it as directed and if so they will be awarded the Lucky Number Jackpot prize. If the first drawn winning number has not been returned, the Lucky Number Jackpot prize will be awarded to the next number from the list of 1000 numbers which has been returned as directed. If none of the 1000 pre drawn numbers have been returned as directed another 1000 numbers will be drawn at Reader’s Digest, 80 Bay Street, Ultimo, NSW, 2007 at 10:30am on 10/01/13 and matched against returned numbers until a winner is found. The first drawn number which matches with a number that has been returned as directed will be declared the winner.
- Entrants consent to the Promoter using their name, likeness, image and/or voice in the event they are a winner (including photograph, film and/or recording of the same) in any media for an unlimited period without remuneration for the purpose of promoting this Sweepstakes (including any outcome), and promoting any products manufactured, distributed and/or supplied by the Promoter. The Promoter collects entrants’ personal information in order to conduct the Sweepstakes. If the information requested is not provided, the entrant may not participate in the Sweepstakes. By entering the Sweepstakes, unless otherwise advised, each entrant also agrees that the Promoter may use this information, or disclose it to other organisations that may use it, in any media for future promotional, marketing and publicity purposes without any further reference, payment or other compensation to the entrant, including sending the entrant electronic messages. All personal details of the entrants will be stored at the office of the Promoter. Entrants’ personal information may be disclosed to State and Territory lottery departments and winners’ names published as required under the relevant lottery legislation. As per the relevant Privacy Legislation, a request to access, update or correct any information should be directed to that office.
- The promotional material, information on how to enter, the Official Prize List and the conditions of entry described in them form part of the Sweepstakes rules.
- Nothing in these rules limits, excludes or modifies or purports to limit, exclude or modify the statutory consumer guarantees as provided under the Competition and Consumer Act, as well as any other implied warranties under the ASIC Act or similar consumer protection laws in the States and Territories of Australia and/or New Zealand (“Non-Excludable Guarantees”). Except for any liability that cannot by law be excluded, including the Non-Excludable Guarantees, the Promoter (including its respective officers, employees and agents) excludes all liability (including negligence), for any personal injury; or any loss or damage (including loss of opportunity); whether direct, indirect, special or consequential, arising in any way out of the promotion.
- Except for any liability that cannot by law be excluded, including the Non-Excludable Guarantees, the Promoter (including its respective officers, employees and agents) is not responsible for and excludes all liability (including negligence), for any personal injury; or any loss or damage (including loss of opportunity); whether direct, indirect, special or consequential, arising in any way out of: (a) any technical difficulties or equipment malfunction (whether or not under the Promoter’s control); (b) any theft, unauthorised access or third party interference; (c) any entry or prize claim that is late, lost, altered, damaged or misdirected (whether or not after their receipt by the Promoter) due to any reason beyond the reasonable control of the Promoter; (d) any variation in prize value to that stated in these rules; (e) any tax liability incurred by a winner or entrant; or (f) use of a prize.
- The Promoter reserves the right, at any time, to verify the validity of entries and entrants (including an entrant’s identity, age and place of residence) and to disqualify any entrant who submits an entry that is not in accordance with these rules or who tampers with the entry process. Errors and omissions may be accepted at the Promoter's discretion. Failure by the Promoter to enforce any of its rights at any stage does not constitute a waiver of those rights. Incomplete, indecipherable, inaudible or illegible entries will be deemed invalid.
- All phone calls are to be made to the phone number specified on the promotional material. Call cost from landline phones will not exceed 55c, however, calls from mobile and pay phones may attract a higher rate. The start time for entry into the Sweepstakes via phone is 12:00am on the start date stated. The close time for entry into the Sweepstakes via phone is 11:59pm on the date stated on the promotional material or if no deadline is stated, by the final closing date.
- If entry is via a premium SMS mechanic, the SMS number will be specified in the promotional material. The cost of the SMS will be 55c. Entrants must have premium service access. Details of the SMS helpline number will also be included with the promotional material. SMS entries via the Internet will be ineligible. SMS winners will be contacted by SMS and/or phone and the Promoter will record their address details so that the prize may be awarded. Entries are deemed to be received at the time of receipt into the Sweepstakes database and NOT at the time of transmission by the entrant.
- Online entries close at 11.59pm on the deadline date stated.
- Limitations on the number of entries permitted include either one (1) entry only permitted per unique email address OR one (1) entry only permitted per household OR one (1) entry only permitted per entry opportunity (if specified) OR one (1) entry per person.
- Any cost associated with accessing the promotional website is the entrant’s responsibility and is dependent on the internet service provider used. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for late, non-directed or misdirected e-mail, for any technical hardware or software failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections or failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmission or any human error which may occur in the receipt or processing of entries. Further, the Promoter accepts no responsibility for damage to computer systems from downloading any information necessary to participate in the Sweepstakes. The Promoter (subject to relevant authorities) reserves the right to terminate or modify the Sweepstakes or the on-line portion of the Sweepstakes at any time if the Promoter’s on-line service is no longer available or is compromised by any virus, bugs, or other intervention beyond the Promoter’s control. In either of these events, prizes may be awarded based on electronic entries received prior to date of termination and mail-in entries received as of the closing date. The Promoter reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any entrant who tampers with the internet entry process or is in any other way responsible for compromising the orderly operation of the Sweepstakes via the internet. The use of any automated software or any other mechanical or electronic means that allows an entrant to automatically enter repeatedly is prohibited and will render all entries submitted by that entrant invalid.
- The Promoter is Reader’s Digest (Australia) Pty Ltd, (ABN 81000565471), 80 Bay Street, Ultimo, NSW Australia. (www.readersdigest.com.au) (www.readersdigest.co.nz). Ph: Aust 1300300162 - NZ 0800540048. Authorised under NSW Permit No. LTPS/11/7818, VIC Permit No. 11/1502, ACT Permit No. TP11/2954, SA Permit No.T11/1505.